top of page

Universal Credit (Uc50)

DSP Help Apply Logo.png

Universal Credit (Uc50) is a monthly payment to support those on low incomes by topping up income to acceptable living standards. Universal Credit was introduced to replace Child Tax Credit, Housing Benefit, Income Support, Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA), Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) and Working Tax Credit.

If you still receive these benefits, you do not need to reapply for Universal Credit. 


Practical Help For Universal Credit Applications

For those with a limited income, a disability, or a change of circumstances, making ends meet can be challenging. The Government compiled several benefits that you can receive into one to make it easier for those in need to apply. 


Although it is a lot easier to find the support you need due to the amalgamated status of Universal Credit, it can still be a challenge to provide the correct information to support your case. DSP can help with:

How much you will receive from a Universal Credit payment will depend on several factors: the benefits you receive and your savings.

Universal Credit - Eligibility

You may be able eligible for Universal Credit if you tick the following criteria:

  • You’re on a low income or out of work.

  • You’re 18 or over (there are some exceptions if you’re 16 to 17).

  • You’re under State Pension age (or your partner is).

  • You and your partner have £16,000 or less in savings between you

  • You live in the UK.

For EU, EEA or Swiss citizens, you and your family will typically need settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme to be eligible for Universal Credit.

If you live with your partner, their savings and income will also be assessed with your application, even if they are not eligible for Universal Credit.  

Carers Allowance Help and Support.jpg

Universal Credit - Others Eligibility Options:

You may also be eligible for Universal Credit if you:

  • Are 18 years old or over and in training or studying full-time and meet certain criteria.

  • Are in full-time education, moving from Employment Support Allowance (ESA) and meet certain criteria.

  • Entitled to Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

  • Entitled to Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

  • 16-17 years old, in full-time education and meet certain criteria.

If you are unsure whether you can apply, contact our team for guidance, and we can also help you with your application. 

Universal Credit - What You At Get Standard Rate

Universal Credit payments are made up using a standard allowance then any extra amounts that apply to you, for example, if you:

  • Have children.

  • Have a disability or health condition which prevents you from working.

  • Need help paying your rent.

The payments can be as follows:

  • If you are single and under 25, from  £344 / month.

  • If you are single and 25 or over, from £411.51 / month

  • If you are a couple and you’re both under 25, from £490.60 (for you both) / month.

  • In a couple and either of you is 25 or over from £596.58 (for you both) / month. 

Universal Credit Application Support.jpg

Universal Credit - Additional Payments for Children

If you have children, you may be awarded additional payments as follows:

  • For your first child, £282.50 (born before 6 April 2017) £237.08 (born on or after 6 April 2017) / month.

  • Your second child and any other eligible children from £237.08 per child/month.

  • If you have a disabled or severely disabled child, from £128.89 or £402.41 / per month.

  • If you need help with childcare, it costs up to 85% of your costs (up to £646.35 for one child and £1,108.04 for two or more children) / month. 

Universal Credit - Additional Payments for Disabilities or Health Conditions

You may also be eligible for additional payments if you are disabled or have a health condition if you:

  • Have limited capability for work and work-related activity from  £343.63 / month.

  • If you have limited capability for work and you started your health-related Universal Credit or Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) claim before 3 April 2017.

Universal Credit - Additional Payments for Carers

Cares can also receive additional payments to help support their income if:

  • If you provide care for at least 35 hours a week for a severely disabled person who receives a disability-related benefit of £163.73 / month.

Universal Credit Children Income Support.jpg

In all cases, your earnings, savings and that of your partner will be considered against the payment you will receive. Although we will try to keep this website as up to date as possible, the payments above are examples and, as such, are subject to change.  

Contact our team or Universal Credit directly to find out precisely what you could expect to receive. 

Need help with your application? - see our Suggested Donations List for this service.

bottom of page