top of page

Blind or Visually Impaired

Blindness or visual impairment can be something you develop through an illness, accident, neurological disorder, or that you are born with it. It can sometimes be mild enough for corrective surgery or visual aids such as glasses to improve, but in many cases, it is a complete change of life. 

There are many aids to help those with blindness or visual impairment such as brail, guide dogs, canes and audio aids. A lot of the hardest work you have to do yourself though, learning to adapt to a life where touch, smell and sound are often enhanced by the body as it looks to compensate for the loss of sight. 

If you are trying to help a friend or family member read this page you can follow this guide if you are on a PC with Microsoft Windows.

What Help is Available for the Blind & Visually Impaired?

There is a great deal of support available for the blind and visually impaired ranging from financial to more practical assistance.

Financially you will almost certainly be entitled to some benefits depending on the severity of your condition. This can help with gaining access to some of the tools you need and helping with day to day living costs if you are unable to work.

Applying for personal independence payments (PIP), Universal Credit (Uc50), Employment & Support Allowance (ESA) and Carers Allowance are some of the benefits you should look into.

Practically you may need a carer, a guide dog, a cane for walking, a modified computer to name a few.  How your home is arranged can also make a huge difference to finding things and avoiding obstacles. 

If you are being driven somewhere you may also be eligible for a Blue Badge to help with disabled parking.

Mentally you may need counselling for example, especially if you have recently become blind from an accident or illness for example. Speaking with your local GP about a referral might be worth considering.


How we can help 

Disability Support Project can help with any benefit or Blue Badge applications listed above. We can:

  • Fill in the applications forms for you.

  • Appeal any decisions that stop you receiving benefits.

  • Represent you at a tribunal should your appeal be rejected.

There are also a selection of charities that can be of assistance such as:

bottom of page